|History||How Pieces Move||Setting Up the Board||Basic Strategies||Special Rules||Setting Up A Club||Setting Up a School Team||Chess Pieces & Weights|
So, you are new to chess, huh? If it hasn't happened already, at some point in the near future you might feel a lot like this guy.
Playing chess can be a lot of fun. Whether you are new to the game or returning after a long hiatus, the links above will help you learn:
- How to set up the board
- How the pieces move
- Basic strategies
- Special Rules
Once you know how the piece move, the rules of chess are actually fairly simple. However, don't be fooled. While you will learn how to play in just a few minutes, it can take a life time to master the game. That is the great thing about chess - you never outgrow the game.
In addition to having fun, there are many other benefits of playing chess, especially for kids.
Benefits of Playing Chess
4-time World Champ Susan Polgar said, "According to research, Test scores improved by 17.3% for students regularly engaged in chess classes, compared with only 4.6% for children participating in other forms of enriched activities."
Chess has long been regarded as a game that can have beneficial effects on learning on development, especially when it is played from a young age. below are some of the most critical benefits that chess can provide to a child:
- Develop analytical, synthetic and decision-making skills, which they can transfer to real life.
- Learn to engage in deep and thorough chess research which will help them build their confidence in their ability to do academic research.
- Help children gain insights into the nature of competition which will help them in any competitive endeavor.
- When youngsters play chess they must call upon higher-order thinking skills, analyze actions and consequences, and visualize future possibilities.
- In countries where chess is offered widely in schools, students exhibit excellence in the ability to recognize complex patterns and consequently excel in math and science.
(taken from Susan Polgar's website)
Learn more from Susan Polgar! Browse our great selection of Susan Polgar DVDs and learn chess strategies.