When you purchase The Art of Defence from Wholesale Chess a DVD/ROM will be sent to the shipping address you select during checkout. If you prefer to receive The Art of Defence via download please click here to go to the ChessBase Shop, add The Art of Defence to your cart and choose "Download" as your delivery method when you checkout.
Defending bad or worse positions is very important in the royal game, probably forming one of the most essential aspects of chess strategy altogether. And it is an art one can learn! The purpose of this DVD is to explain the viewer all main methods of defence: exchanging pieces, creating a fortress, eliminating dangerous enemy pieces, escaping the danger zone with the king, improving the position of the pieces. Special attention is paid to counterattack and prophylactic play. The DVD contains almost 5 hours of video lectures, based on the positions from the practice of the World Champions and other elite players. On top of that, there are 15 exercise positions for you to solve by yourself. Recommended for players of all levels.
• Video running time: 5 h 19 min (English)
• With interactive training including video feedback
• Extra: More than 50 extra games, with examples of the author
• Including CB 12 Reader
Minimum: Pentium III 1 GHz, 1 GB RAM, Windows Vista, XP (Service Pack 3), DirectX9 graphic card with 256 MB RAM, DVD-ROM drive, Windows Media Player 9, ChessBase 12/Fritz 13 or included Reader and internet connection for program activation. Recommended: PC Intel Core i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, DirectX10 graphic card (or compatible) with 512 MB RAM or better, 100% DirectX10 compatible sound card, Windows Media Player 11, DVD-ROM drive and internet connection for program activation.
- 01: Introduction [05:49]
- 02: Exchanges - Part 1 - Capablanca,J - Alekhine,A; Kortschnoj,V - Karpov,A; Asztalos,L - Alekhine,A [21:10]
- 03: Exchanges - Part 2 - Marshall,F - Chigorin,M; Lisitsin,G - Lilienthal,A; Kasparov,G - Topalov,V; Bakulin - Dvoretsky; Karpov,A - Kasparov,G [24:38]
- 04: Exchanges - Part 3: Fortresses - Kholmov,R - Taimanov,M; Chekhover (study); Smyslov,V - Huebner,R; Yates,F - Alekhine,A; Zivkovic Jocic,L - Gaprindashvili,N; Lilienthal,A - Bonch Osmolovsky,M; Byrne,R - Taimanov,M [24:37]
- 05: Eliminating dangerous pieces - Maroczy,G - Rubinstein,A; Kramnik,V - Kasparov,G; Filip,M - Kortschnoj,V; Kasparov,G - Petrosian,T [24:22]
- 06: The King escapes - Part 1 - Nimzowitsch - Birger; Diez del Corral,J - Petrosian,T; Ravinsky,G - Kotov,A [11:56]
- 07: The King escapes - Part 2 - Gufeld,E - Taimanov,M; Planinec,A - Tukmakov,V [07:15]
- 08: Improving the pieces - Part 1 - Spraggett,K - Sokolov,A; Capablanca,J - Znosko Borovsky,E; Karpov,A - Polugaevsky,L; Suetin,A - Kortschnoj,V [30:39]
- 09: Improving the pieces - Part 2 - Polugaevsky,L - Panchenko,A; Short,N - Kasparov,G; Levenfish,G - Ragozin,V [14:21]
- 10: Counterattack - Part 1 - Taimanov,M - Larsen,B; Bronstein,D - Polugaevsky,L; Geller,E - Euwe,M; Stoliar,E - Kotkov,Y; Taimanov,M - Averbakh,Y; Ravinsky,G - Antoshin,V; Averbakh,Y - Botvinnik,M; Kotkov,Y - Nezhmetdinov,R [28:52]
- 11: Counterattack - Part 2 - Spielmann,R - Capablanca,J; Vidmar,M - Euwe,M; Dieks,R - Marjanovic,S; Kupreichik,V - Tukmakov,V; Olafsson,F - Tal,M; Topalov,V - Gelfand,B; Capablanca,J - Ilyin Zhenevsky,A [30:42]
- 12: Prophylaxis - Part 1 - Schlechter,C - Nimzowitsch,A; Johner,P - Nimzowitsch,A; Bronstein,D - Petrosian,T; [28:35]
- 13: Prophylaxis - Part 2 - Titov,G - Yudasin,L; Gurgenidze,B - Polugaevsky,L; Stein,L - Petrosian,T; Bareev,E - Dolmatov,S; Spassky,B - Petrosian,T; Kupchik,A - Capablanca,J; Saemisch,F - Alekhine,A [24:42]
- 14: Conclusion [03:16]
- 15: Test 1 [02:43]
- 16: Test 2 [02:40]
- 17: Test 3 [02:21]
- 18: Test 4 [02:50]
- 19: Test 5 [02:37]
- 20: Test 6 [03:45]
- 21: Test 7 [01:13]
- 22: Test 8 [01:20]
- 23: Test 9 [03:20]
- 24: Test 10 [02:31]
- 25: Test 11 [02:49]
- 26: Test 12 [02:26]
- 27: Test 13 [02:33]
- 28: Test 14 [02:12]
- 29: Test 15 [02:14]
Disclaimer: If opened, this item may only be returned in exchange for the same item.
Note: Please contact the developer with any support issues.